Homemade cookies are a tangible expression of Christian love and an indication of God’s concern for a group of people who seldom encounter either in the course of their daily lives.
Your loving sacrifice will provide “bread” that shines the light of God’s grace into the darkest corners of a prison unit.
At a typical Kairos weekend, we will go through hundreds of dozens of cookies; all of which are distributed to inmates,
correction officers, support staff and yes, even team members.
Please make as many as you possibly can. They will not go to waste!
God bless you for the gift of baking!
- All cookies must be “homebaked” – nothing store bought.
- Homemade cookies from scratch are always a special treat but store bought cookie dough can be substituted is desired.
- In the past, Angola had special rules about the types of cookies – good news, those rules have gone away. Cook whatever you would like. Chocolate chip are always a favorite, but other favorites include Oatmeal, Peanut Butter, Sugar and even Ginger.
- Cookies should be between 2 inches and 2-1/2 inches in diameter and not more than 1/2 inch thick.
- Try to avoid using icing, sugar or any other type of coating on the outside of the cookie. It gets really messy when we are packing and unpacking.
The Key Ingredient – Prayer!
- Pray individually or as a family over the ingredients before and during mixing.
- Pray over the cookies as you drop them onto the cookie sheets and bake them.
- Ask God to use your cookies as a source of His love to shine on the prisoners and staff on the Kairos weekend.
- Pray that each cookie brings the inmate, officer or warden who eats it closer to God. We want every person to become part of the family of God.
Packing the Cookies
- Bag thoroughly cooled cookies in a Zip Lock bag – 12 cookies per bag.
- You may wish to freeze the cookies if the Kairos weekend is more than 3 days away.
Getting the Cookies to the Prisoners
- Please deliver the bagged cookies to a team member before the start of the weekend, so they can take them to the prison.
Kathy Michael made this great video summarizing the cookie experience.
Here are some useful cookie downloads: